Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Artist profile
Photography and drawing has fascinated me throughout my life. The first initiation to draw and paint more frequently came true in 1988 in art classes of Ideen Aghdashloo, the well known Persian painter in all mediums. After finishing basic skills in drawing and colored pencil with him, I explored and practiced watercolor, my treasured medium, by myself for few years. In the meantime, searching for a favorite master, I encountered to Atashzad, the pioneer in watercolor specially wet in wet watercolor paintings. His works thrilled and exited me so much that I have stayed with him for many years and whenever I get time attend his class and work with him. He showed me the fluidity and transparency of watercolor which is distinctive from oil and other mediums.
Besides painting plein air and still life, my inspiration is sketching and painting of human figure, as well as photography as a mean for my paintings. Living in Toronto in recent years, encouraged me to take part in classes of life figure drawing and painting. Moreover, the relaxed social settings and mixed culture of this city was a motivation to draw and sketch more often in locations such as coffee shops, malls, bookstores and subways. I have found that sketching or painting with ball pen on inexpensive sketch book and putting light washes of watercolor on it later on, is a good practice not to fear of mistakes or ruining the paintings. These days, my main effort is to capture the skills of simplicity, limited pallet and harmony.

No comments: